Wednesday 10 July 2013

Living with Autism

I have a 14 year old brother who has autism and learning difficulties, he attends a Special needs School nearby. I love my brother, but it is hard living with someone who has autism,  he is 14 and going though changes. Sebastian knows something is going on with his mind and body, but he struggles to understand what is happening to him or why. Sebastian gets more agitated and stressed, but he can be so calm and gentle that he would never hurt anyone or anything for that matter.

Sebastian enjoys the outdoors and his own company, which makes it difficult when we want to go out as a family. We all have to consider how stuff impacts on Sebastian and how stressed he gets, like he  can't cope with crowds or seeing unhappy people. He hates London, because there are so many homeless people and that really upsets him. Sebastian, doesn't know how to express his emotions and so he flaps and spins.

Sebastian can be funny and has learnt some swear words, when he says them I laugh! He is mad about Coronation Street and we all have to watch it with him.....It is a bit sad watching a soap, but I don't mind, because I love him.


Mum took us to the War Rooms in London, Sebastian was a bit embarrassed having to wear the costumes. I soon cheered him up by acting silly, which made other people laugh too.

The thing which makes me a bit sad about having a brother with autism, is that I am only 12 and I have overtaken Sebastian. I am more like his big brother and I help him sort out stuff he finds difficult, such as telling him it is bedtime or explaining what people mean when they talk to him.

I worry about what Sebastian will do when he is an adult, I hope he gets a job with a good boss. My mum is great with Sebastian, she really pushes him and when everyone said he would never read she taught him herself. Sebastian is really good at reading now and he also learnt to sail, he is brilliant at swimming.

I think Sebastian is cool :)

No comments:

Post a Comment